Are you looking for a recipe for homemade waffles? These quick and easy vegan waffles are light and fluffy and made with simple ingredients. They are perfect for breakfast and make great dessert waffles too. These are gluten-free and dairy-free, made with Organic Plenish Oat Milk. We’ve also included three of our favourite topping ideas – they are sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. These delicious waffles can win over any brunch crowd and keep everyone happy.
Homemade Waffle Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Makes 4 – 5 waffles
Homemade Waffle Ingredients
250g flour (spelt, all-purpose flour, or GF flour blend)
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
400ml Plenish Oat Milk
60ml olive oil
A pinch of mineral salt, optional
How to Make Homemade Waffles
1. Preheat your waffle maker and add oil to prevent the batter from sticking.
2. Add all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
3. Add a scoop of your batter to the waffle maker, but not too much, so it doesn’t overflow, close, and cook as your waffle maker suggests or until golden. (N.B. If you prefer your waffles a bit crispy, cook for a little longer.)
4. Repeat until all the batter is used. (You can refrigerate your remaining batter overnight if you don’t want to use it all at once.)
5.Next, add your toppings and serve.
Homemade Waffle Topping Ideas
So, what do you put on top of your waffles? Well, we’ve got some ideas we’d love to share. There are definitely a whole host of options other than syrup. Here are some of our favourite waffle toppings:
Waffles with Chopped Nuts and Ice Cream
This topping is indulgent but irresistible and puts you firmly in dessert waffle territory. You can add a scoop of ice cream to a still-warm waffle and serve immediately, and chopped nuts add some crunch to proceedings. Why not try this recipe for Vegan Lemon Curd Ice Cream with Gingernut Crumble.
Sometimes simple is best and adding chopped bananas to your waffle is a real classic. Taking a bite of crispy waffle paired with sweet banana is both joyous and healthy. Add some syrup, too, if you like your waffles even sweeter.
Blackberry, Apple and Vegan Cream Waffles
Add chopped apple slices on your waffles and create a Blackberry coulis by adding the berries to a high-speed blender and blitzing. Top it off by adding vegan cream to create the perfect treat for autumn mornings.
Chocolate and Caramel Waffles
Choose either hot date caramel sauce or chocolate sauce for your waffles, or add both for ultimate decadence.
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
175ml of Plenish Almond Milk
1tsp Sea Salt
How to Make Caramel Sauce
1. 1 tsp Sea Salt Soak the dates in hot water for 30 mins and drain.
2. Add the almond milk, dates and salt to a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth.
3. Heat in a pan and serve straight over your waffle.
Chocolate Sauce Ingredients
1 bar of organic dark chocolate (100g)
125ml Plenish Coconut Milk
How to Make Chocolate Sauce:
1. Heat the coconut milk in a pan.
2. Chop the chocolate roughly and place it in a heatproof bowl.
3. Pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate and allow to stand for 3 mins.
4. Whisk the mixture together to create a silky smooth sauce and pour over your waffles.
We hope you enjoy making these waffles and toppings. There are so many other waffle topping ideas too, share your creations with us @plenishdrinks using #Plenish.