Ready in just a few minutes, this acai smoothie bowl recipe is made with a handful of natural ingredients, including frozen acai berries, oats, berries, banana, Plenish almond milk and all your favourite toppings. Learn how easy it is to make your very own acai smoothie bowl from the comfort of your kitchen and how this powerful superfood can help you thrive!
What is acai?
Acai, pronounced AH-SIGH-EE, is a type of small purple berry found in the Amazon rainforest that grows in clusters on tall palm trees. It is thought to be the most powerful superfood in the Amazon and, for this reason, has long been a staple of indigenous diets. Fresh acai berries have a very short shield life and therefore are not sold outside the regions where they are grown. Instead, they are exported as frozen fruit puree, dried powder or pressed juice.
What does acai taste like?
According to the acai experts at Sambazon, this powerful little berry tastes somewhere in between mixed berries, dark chocolate and red wine – a mix we can get on board with!
Is acai healthy?
Acai berries have a unique nutrient profile for a fruit as they are naturally rich in healthy fats and low in sugar.
In 100 grams of frozen unsweetened acai fruit pulp, you can expect:
|15% of the RDI
|2% of the RDI
Here are 3 health benefits of acai berries:
- Antioxidant-Rich – acai berries contain three times more antioxidants than the amount found in blueberries, which helps to neutralise the damaging effects of free radicals throughout the body, which in turn slows down the ageing process.
- Packed full of healthy omegas 3, 6, 9 – acai contains a powerful trio of essential fatty acids, which helps to lower levels of total and bad cholesterol in the body.
- Low in naturally-occurring sugars – acai has a low score on the glycemic index, which is particularly beneficial for people with diabetes as it helps to maintain steady blood sugar levels.
How to make an acai smoothie bowl
The secret to making the creamiest acai smoothie bowl is using frozen fruit and a powerful blender. Simply add the frozen fruit and oats to a blender and blend on low until the mixture thickens. Then add a little Plenish Almond Milk and mix on low until you have a soft serve-like texture. Once your mixture is nice and creamy, spoon it into a bowl, top with your favourite toppings and enjoy immediately!
Simple acai smoothie bowl recipe
Hands-on: 10 minutes
Overall time: 10 minutes
200g frozen açaí, ideally chopped into chunks
2 tbsp rolled oats
260 g frozen mixed berries
1 small banana, cut in half
1/2 cup Plenish almond milk
1 tbsp maple, or to taste
Fresh fruit, coconut flakes, nuts, seeds or cacao nibs
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. You may need to give it a stir a couple of times, depending on how much you chopped the açaí.
- Pour into bowls and top with your favourite toppings. We used fresh berries, coconut flakes, shelled hemp seeds and bananas.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @plenishdrinks on Instagram and hashtag #FeelGoodFood for a chance to feature on our Instagram page.